Thursday, April 7, 2011

Missing Brian...RIP

Today I got an email from a local pet store wishing my cat a happy birthday. I was puzzled as my cats birthdays are in March, June & August. I then realized they were referring to my Brian. Brian passed away a year ago on 4/16. He would've been 9 this year. In honor of this being his birth month, here is his story...

A friend of a friend of mine was moving out of state with her boyfriend who is severely allergic to cats. She was looking for a good home for him. Our mutual friend approached me about this, but my family wasn't looking to add a second cat to our home. My friend emailed of picture of Brian (who was at that time named Bry Bry). Well, that was it for me. He was the most handsome cat I had ever seen!
One weekend my friend & her kids drove him from Green Bay to our home. At first he just hid under a table in the living room. He was my cat. He followed me everywhere. He had the coolest personality. Brian was a big boy when he arrived...21 pounds. He was a mainecoon cat, which are a larger breed, but still our vet thought he should be around 14 pounds. In time we got him down to 14.2 pounds & he was that size until he got sick.

One day my daughter said he wasn't eating very well. I monitored him but I didn't see any changes until 4/15/10. I was headed to bed when I saw Brian laying on the floor in the hallway, which was odd for him. I went to pick him up & he was limp. My boyfriend, Glen, & I tried to feed him & get him to drink water but Brian couldn't hold anything down. I laid on the living room floor with Brian wrapped in a blanket until the morning came & the vet's office was open. I called the vet & they were able to shuffle some things around to get him in. When I got there I knew deep down he was in trouble but I was so sleep deprived & in denial. The vet took an xray & found a huge mass in his belly. My beloved Brian had cancer. He weighed something like 9 pounds & his temp was 89 degrees. The vet said there was nothing they could do...he was too far gone. If I took him home he would suffer terribly & would most certainly pass that day. There was no decision to make. I had to say good bye to my buddy.

Glen & I went to my kids school & sat them down in the conference room & told them the news. They were devastated. I gave them the option to leave school for the rest of the day & come to the vet's office to say goodbye. My daughter was too upset to go. So my son, Glen & I went back to the vet. We said our goodbyes & Brian passed away in my arms. Everyone in the room cried. Brian's was a horrible, unexpected passing.

Next week my family will face the 1st anniversary of his passing & his birthday. I miss Brian so much. He was the best cat in the world & he brought so much happiness to our family.

We love you Brian!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm all misty :( On the upside, you gave him a beautiful home, showered him with love and he returned it. Yes, your heart will ache and tears may flow but he is always with you in your heart and soul. And he is there beside you, assisting with each animal you help save.

    Karla

    ReplyDelete