Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Insurance Call Centers

Ever get frustrated when calling a health insurance company? I called an insurance company today & was so irritated after the call I had to take a minute to regroup. First you have to figure out the automated line. Once you get through you most likely will be transfered or given a different # to call. Today I was transfered 3 times & given 2 different #s to call. Then during a transfer, I was hung up on. Now these things are not the fault of the person who helped me when I finally got to the right person. Do you take it out on that person? Are you so irritated at this point that you treat them badly? Once the right person to help you is on the phone, do you notice they feel the need to fill the silence with phrases like, one moment or step by step instructions on what they are doing?

All of these things are quite annoying, but have you ever taken into consideration all of the rules they are given for taking calls? Rules like, no more than 5 seconds of silence & then they must say things like one moment. Rules that will force them to put you on hold so they can type their call summary before hanging up with you because they will get another call immediately after they hang up with you. Did you know that most of the call center reps you encounter have to take call after call with no time in between calls? Most of these reps take 100 calls in an 8 hour shift. They have unrealistic goals/stats to meet every week or month. Quotas that are very difficult to reach. If they don't reach them corrective action is usually taken.

Can you imagine not being able to use the bathroom when you need to because calls are holding? So I ask you this...if you worked for one of these companies, what would your mood be like? Would you truly care about your customers' needs? So, when you are frustrated & want to scream, swear or be rude to these unfortunate souls, please think twice. I used to work for an insurance company. I had to follow the rules & meet quotas. It was horrible. I was depressed, crabby and had terrible headaches every day! I dreaded starting work just to get screamed at, swore at & personally threatened 100 times a day.

I wish people would think twice about how they treat others. Especially the ones answering your calls & listening to your complaints. They do this all day long. Think what that does to a person.

Thankfully I am no longer in this line of work. I haven't had a severe headache since my last day of work in a call center. Most importantly, I am happy. In my new line of work I have to occasionally call insurance companies. It is frustrating but I am always nice to those that answer the phone. 9 times out of 10 the rep I speak with thanks me for being so nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment