Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tummy Troubles

Warning...don't read this if you don't want to hear about dog poop!

Ever since our puppy Miles arrived in June he has had on & off diarrhea. We assumed with the travel to WI, transition to new food & a new life that this was all normal. There were a few times we thought we saw blood in his stool, but weren't sure. 2 weekends ago Miles had very bad diarrhea that turned into pooping only blood. Those who know me will believe me when I say I was FREAKING OUT! I had no idea what could be wrong with my puppy. I felt so badly for him. He wasn't acting like anything was wrong, but he has been such a chill puppy since we adopted him that we really wouldn't know any better. We took him to the Vet on a Monday morning. They ran a few tests to check for parasites - there were none. They listened to his belly - sounded good. My poor pup had to have a rectal exam - although he was VERY MAD about this, everything seemed okay. After talking with the Vet about everything going with Miles, the Vet said he has food allergies. Miles ears were both infected because of this too.

Our Vet prescribed 3 meds: a general dewormer (taken for 3 days), ear meds (drops for 14 days), and a wonder pill that is an antibiotic/antidiarrheal/antiinflammatory (taken for 10 days). The Vet recommended we slowly transition him over to a limited ingredient diet. It just so happens that Riley, our other dog, eats a limited ingredient diet. It's an adult food, so we thought Miles couldn't have that since he is still a puppy. The Vet informed us that since he is neutered he doesn't "need" to be on puppy food. Since he is having severe food issues, something needed to be done to help him. So we switched Miles to this food too (Nutro Whole Brown Rice & Venison).

Within a few days the bleeding was gone & so was the diarrhea. His personality is really starting to come out now. He is so happy & playful. You can really tell he is feeling better. He is still a very chill puppy, the easiest puppy I have ever met, but he seems so full of life now that he's feeling better! We are praying that when Miles is done with his tummy meds (tomorrow is his last day on them) that he will continue to tolerate his new food.

I am so thankful for our amazing Vet! I don't think Miles is too eager to go back, but I'm sure he is grateful that he feels better now! Thank you Kaukauna Vet - we love you!

1 comment:

  1. I have had this happen with several pets. With one of our dogs it ended up being worms, which was promptly treated. With one of my cats it was just nerves and also being on a diet that was too "rich" - we had all of them on Solid Gold which was really good quality and high in protein, etc....apparently it can be too high for some sensitive systems. All are on a limited ingredient diet now and no more bloody diarrhea in this household! I know it can be very scary. I'm glad Miles is doing better now! I gotta come see him again - I'm sure he is already HUGE!

    ReplyDelete