Thursday, October 14, 2010

Helping A Lost Dog

My daughter & I were sitting down to have dinner tonight when she spotted a large Rottweiler walking down the road. The dog did not have a collar & tags on. I tried to coax her over to me with treats, but she was so scared. Several of the neighbors saw the big dog running loose. No one would help her. Some grabbed their kids & ran inside. Some flat out said "I'm not helping a Rottie." Shocked, I ran home, grabbed a leash & treats and jumped in my car. I immediately spotted the dog sprinting through the busy traffic on Wisconsin Ave. I kept losing sight of her & then spotting her again. She almost got hit by 3 cars at 3 different times. I asked a man sitting on his porch if he saw the dog. He said she just ran past & went through the neighbors yard. I asked if he had seen her before & if he knew where she lived. He said no - turns out the dog lived right next door to this guy! I circled around the block only to find her sitting on a back porch, her back porch.

Now, I didn't know this was her back porch. I tossed treats to her & she came to me, gave me kisses & rubbed up on my legs. She was really sweet, but really scared & hungry. I tried to put a leash on her, but she was so scared. Not knowing this dog, I didn't want to test her limits or stress her further. She was calming down & was staying by me. I gave her the rest of the treats I had. Of course I had called Outagamie Community Service when my daughter first spotted the dog over by our house, to get help catching the dog so she could return home safely.

As I ran out of treats, Community Service called & said they were 5 minutes away. The dog was sitting with me while I petted her, so I didn't think she would take off on me. Just as I finished that thought I heard a car door. I asked if they had a dog. The look of relief on this man's face when I said that was incredible. He said "Yes, we've been looking for my Rott since 10am. Her name is Raj." Well, the dog heard her name & flew past me to her Daddy! I informed him that I followed her for a mile or so & how lucky she is to have not been hit by a car today.

This man was so thankful. He made a comment that will probably stick with me forever. He said "I can't thank you enough. Many people are afraid of her breed & would NOT help. I'm so glad...appreciative for good people like you." He shook my hand & off I went.

Now, I need to admit something...I was afraid of that dog. It's not the breed, it was her size. Bigger dogs do intimidate me every now & then. I helped her not only because it's the right thing to do, but because my fear was not greater than the need to get her out of traffic before she was hit by a car, and ultimately get her home safely. I sincerely hope that Raj will be wearing a collar & ID tags from now on. If there is one thing Raj's owner learned today, I hope it's the importance of leashes, collars & ID tags. Yes, this very smart dog found her way home, but she was missing for 8 hours & almost got hit by 3 cars, that I saw.

If your dog slipped out the door or was outside without a leash, tie-out or fence, an ID tag could get her back to you.

Here is a picture of sweet Raj safely at home!

Please be responsible dog parents! 

1 comment:

  1. I have multiple tags on our dog. ID, Vet, Rabies, License, Etc. I am surprised that so many owners don't have microchips in their pets or a simple tag with a phone number on it, especially considering what we spend on our pets (time and money). We have so much invested that it seems silly not to take that little extra precaution at not that much of a cost. - Just in case.

    So, I have a simliar story with a gorgeous black lab that ended up on our property. He played fetch for hours with my kids, played with our dog, "Cookie" and had a brand new collar on - no tags, but had a shock collar with duck tape too. Guessing he was a roamer, but I didn't know how far from home. Since we had our last dog hit by a car, I chose to call the County. I called around to see if anyone reported a dog missing, but nothing at the shelters or the police. :( Poor guy. He was such a nice dog, and I can't believe nobody was missing him.

    A lady from the shelter came and picked him up. I called a couple of days later and he was still unclaimed. I never called back because I knew I'd end up with another dog that I just didn't need.

    I wish I could help them all.

    I am glad for you and others who are awesome fosters for these guys. It can be heartbreaking sometimes, but you guys are making a difference.

    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete